If you are having trouble installing a VPN on Kodi, this guide will help you get through the process in just a few simple steps. Not only that, but the steps remain the same regardless of what VPN provider you choose, at least as long as the developer is included in the list of supported VPNs for Kodi. Thankfully, most of the VPNs out there are supported, so it’s highly unlikely that you will run into trouble.
The installation process does not require any advanced skills either, although there are some files you will have to download in order to extend Kodi’s capabilities with specialized add-ons. These files will be linked in our article, however, so you do not have to search for them yourself.
You can choose between two methods when it comes to rerouting your Kodi traffic through a VPN, both of which are explained below. Thus, the first method and the simplest is to install your VPN as you normally would on the device of your choosing and simply start it before running Kodi. This will automatically reroute your Kodi traffic as well.
The second method is to install a Kodi VPN add-on. In this case, the VPN will only work while using Kodi, which means that the rest of your traffic is exposed. On the other hand, this method ensures that you never forget to start your VPN, especially since the add-on can be customized to automatically connect to a VPN server whenever you open Kodi. While this method is a bit more convoluted, the guide is designed to cover all possibilities, so you shouldn’t run into any issues if you follow the steps correctly.
In case you haven’t chosen a VPN service yet and you are wondering which one would work best with Kodi, you can check out our article about the best VPNs for Kodi.
Method 1: Install a VPN on Kodi-supported Devices
The first and easiest solution is to just use your VPN as you normally would. Given the fact that all of your Internet traffic is rerouted while the VPN service is running, this includes your Kodi streams, so there’s nothing to worry about.
In addition, this works on any platform as well, so it doesn’t matter if you plan on using a PC with Windows, a Fire TV, an Android smartphone, or a Mac running macOS. Naturally, it’s worth pointing out that both the VPN app and Kodi must be running on the same device in order for this to work.
The installation steps go as follows:
- Pick your desired VPN service, while making sure the service in question is supported on the platform you plan on using. We recommend something like ExpressVPN or IPVanish.
- Download the VPN app onto your device and install it
- Start the application and fill in your account details
- Pick a server from the list of available options
- Connect to the chosen server
- Make sure your IP address has changed and your traffic is being rerouted. You can find out how to test your VPN by reading our article.
- Activate the killswitch option if available. This is in order to avoid being exposed in case the VPN server you are connected to goes down while you are using Kodi.
- Start the Kodi app and enjoy
If you followed the instructions above, your Kodi traffic should be passing through the VPN and thus remain hidden from everyone. It’s important to remember that your traffic is only hidden for as long as the VPN app is running, which is why the killswitch option is almost mandatory. However, if the VPN app itself crashes for some reason, then you will be exposed, so our advice is to periodically check that everything is working as intended in order to avoid trouble.
Method 2: Install a VPN on Kodi using Add-ons
As mentioned above, simply running your VPN in the background has its drawbacks, mainly due to the fact that you can be left exposed in case anything goes wrong with the VPN service. Thankfully, there’s a better and more secure way to do things: By installing a Kodi VPN add-on.
Besides the obvious upside of not having to run a second app in the background, there are other important factors that make this a better solution. For starters, Kodi will automatically connect to the chosen VPN server whenever you start watching something, so you do not have to keep fiddling with anything after the initial setup.
Secondly, if the VPN connection goes down while you are watching, the stream stops as well, thus preventing your traffic from being exposed. On top of that, you can also add multiple servers to the list, which means that if one happens to go down Kodi will automatically try to reconnect to one of the other servers on the list. Obviously, this is much more comfortable than having to do it manually. The need for a killswitch option is also eliminated in this case.
Before you begin the installation process, you should check whether your VPN service offers an official Kodi repo. (If it does, then you should follow the steps for this method) This is basically a ZIP file that contains the necessary add-on, but not all VPNs provide it. As an example, PureVPN allows you to download the repo from their website. On the other hand, IPVanish does not feature an official Kodi repository, which means that you have to use Zomboided VPN Manager for OpenVPN instead. (In that case, you should use this method) This tool is designed to work with a variety of VPN providers on the market, and it also allows you to have multiple VPN setups from different providers without installing separate add-ons for them. Naturally, the easiest method is to use an official repo, but that’s unfortunately not possible for certain VPNs out there, at least at the moment.
After that, you should also open Kodi and go to Settings -> System -> Add-ons and enable the “Unknown Sources” option. This is disabled by default when you install Kodi, and you won’t be able to install third-party add-ons if you do not enable it first. This step is mandatory regardless of what method you use to install the VPN add-on.
The next steps depend on whether you can get an official Kodi repo or not.
Installing a Kodi VPN add-on from an official repo
- Download the Kodi repo to your device (or a USB stick)
- Hover over the “Add-ons” item in Kodi’s main menu to bring up the “Add-ons” panel
- Click on “Install from zip file”
- Navigate to where you saved the Kodi repo file and select it
- After the add-on installation is complete, a setup screen will automatically appear
- Enter your VPN account credentials – namely username and password
- Select the desired server from the list
- Start the add-on by clicking on it in the “Add-ons” panel
- Enjoy watching your videos behind a VPN!
Installing a Kodi VPN add-on manually (Using Zomboided VPN Manager for OpenVPN)
- Download the Zomboided VPN Manager for OpenVPN zip file, which can be found here. Save the file to your device, or on a USB flash drive.
- Hover over the “Add-ons” item in the main menu and click on “Enter add-on browser”
- Click on “Install from zip file”
- Select the zip file by navigating to the directory where you saved it
After the installation is complete, if a dialog box pops up, click on “Wizard” and follow these steps:
- Select your VPN provider from the list
- Enter your VPN credentials, such as username and password
- Choose whether you want to automatically connect to a VPN at start-up and whether to reconnect automatically if the server goes down. Naturally, the recommended option is “Yes”
- Click “Ok” in order to create a new VPN connection
- Select the desired server from the list
- Wait for the VPN to connect and enjoy watching!
- Otherwise, if the dialog box does not open or you want to set things up later, follow these steps instead:
- Go to the main Kodi screen and hover over the “Add-ons” button in the main menu
- Right-click on the “VPN Manager for OpenVPN” add-on
- Click on “Settings”
- Choose “VPN Configuration” from the menu on the left
- Select your VPN provider by using the arrows
- Click on “User name” and enter your user name for the selected provider
- Click on “Password” and enter the password for the selected provider
- Choose “VPN Connections” from the menu on the left
- Click on “First VPN connection (used to auto connect at start up)”
- A window with the available servers should appear. Click on the server you want to connect to
- Wait for the connection to be established and enjoy watching!
As you can see, it’s not very difficult to install a VPN on Kodi, especially since there are two methods to choose from, and both methods have been thoroughly explained in the guide above. All that’s left for you to do now is to begin enjoying content on Kodi and rest assured knowing that your streams are protected by your VPN.